Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Cool parents are cool


   "Cool parents are cool."

   That phrase has been into my mind five years ago, several months before I entered college. Actually, I don't know how to start and connect that phrase into what has been rolling in my mind.

   I had encountered a Social Science professor before from the university where I studied Hospitality Management. Every first day of a new semester, he always asked the students to how was their daily life inside their home and describe their parents in front of the class.
And as usual, they describe how persevering, caring, loving their parents are. Some describe themselves as the rebel kid, some are the brats and some are the breadwinners and the parents' apple of the eye.

   But in this kind of conversation inside the class, you will know who value the relationship inside the family, who know the meaning of the word "home" and the people who know how to understand their parents.

   Every child stands for everything-freedom, independence, self expressions, etc., but not all the kids, especially nowadays, can do everything they want inside their own home. Instead of having the self contentment and happiness, they look outside their home and satisfy themselves (friends, work, hobbies, etc.). 

   Some students are open to the idea of a solid friendship inside the home, just few students are close to their family and most choose to get much closer to their friends instead of their brothers/sisters or parents.

   And in this kind of conversation brought me into the realization of how lucky I am at home.


Together forever

   I know that we weren't a perfect family and both my parents has been into a not-so-good past, but that doesn't mean we can have a happy and festive life.

   I am much closer with my family instead of my friends, not because I am not that friendly, but because I just felt more freely to be me than with my friends though I am always been pressured at home.

   "My parents are cool."

   That's how I started my speech in front of the class when it was already my turn. I remember I was the only student who describes parents the way like I was just about to describe a friend.


   They are cool, for real. They are more likely a friend a parent. They are not as complicated and strict unlike others.


   Where would you find parents who buys a gaming software, not because you asked to, but because he wanted to get the trophy first before you? They are is super cool as always. He supported my brother's addiction to online gaming in a good way he can, and now my brother is a less addicted to gaming because he always lose when papa joins the game. They are supportive as always. He supports our craziness as well. Sounds crazy? It's like when you were tripping with a friend.

    The realization during that moment was the best part of being me, knowing that I value my family the way I value my life and everything that's important to me and the presence of a strong communication and bond between us kids and our parents.

    They are the best friends in the form of parents.
 

1 comment:

  1. BitKong Test your bravery and get bitcoins from the big bad kong.

    TIP: Claim free bitcoins every 10 mins from the free faucet.

    ReplyDelete