Monday, June 11, 2012

Overcoming Writer's Block

 
     I'm having a writer's block recently. I can't say exactly why, but I had a lot of ideas, but I can't put it on the blog or even on a paper (which I usually preferred to do before posting stuff). Maybe because of the distraction (getting excited with going back to University) and or having problems with the language; I could write five pages essay on my language, Filipino, but having hard time when translating it on English in the same number of page (usually turned out less than two pages since paragraphs in Tagalog tend to have a shortcuts when translated in English). 

     I, someone who's having a writer's block lately will give some advice on how to survive this kind of scenario (I wish I could insert a laughing audio here.) 

1. Read... A LOT
 
     Better be reading a lot rather than copying someone else's work. It happened to me while I was in high school while doing my mini-thesis. It's not a good Idea, yes it is. What do we call that thing? Plagiarism. Reading, even if the thing you are reading right now would be as catchy as you think, in time it'll be as useful and precious. I read a lot in times that I'm in the mood and even I don't have to gather idea, I just use it as a stock knowledge. 

2. Know when you are able to write; Ritual-like WRITING time

      I do believe that a writer do have a time when he is able to write no matter how destructive the place he is into. Instead, he uses the destruction as part of his writing. But the shortest way to explain it is it is like a ritual. My Rituals on writing are listening to some music (Genres doesn't matter as long as it doesn't sound disturbing) before and while writing articles. I can't write during day, it supposed to be midnight (I don't know why). No one should be around-watching me writing. I can't write serious topics and long posts when someones around. 

3. Know your interests 

     Of course, you can't be able to write about things if it isn't what you like. Knowing your interests will give you much of ideas in no time.

4. Catch your idea with your pen and paper 

     You're not with your laptop/PC/tablet/Cellphone all the time, so you should have your pen and paper at all times. Ideas come and go without saying so you have to write it down and save it in your pocket. And when you're ready to write about things you want to share, you have something like a resource of what you are going to post or share. I preferred to have a mini fountain pen and a pocket notebook with me all the time and I used to write while walking since I entered the Uni. 

5. Some preferred to have inspiration 

     Does getting inspired makes you as a good writer? Then, Find a way to be inspired. If Listening to music, watching movie or even looking to the empty sky will make you inspired, then do it a lot.

6. Don't limit yourself

    There's a lot of topics around. Get out of the box. If you used to write about love, why don't try heartbreaks? It's still relative. Every topic has a broad definition and has branches and roots too...
7. Write 

     As simple as that. Even if there's no relativity on the words you are writing right now, there will be... soon. Yes. It's nonsense to say that you have to write no matter what word are going to appear on that paper or screen, there will be a thought that will pop out in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment