Friday, August 3, 2012

Make life worth living: Have a book to read



    Reading. Books. Not all people are into reading or has an interest in reading especially now that there are a lot of things around us that easily catches our attention (gadgets, online games, etc.).

    Then why reading? How can it make our life worth living?

    In a website, LifeDev.net, Glen Stansberry stated the eight major benefits of reading:
Photo source: The big five of reading
  1. Enhanced Smarts
  2. Reading reduces stress
  3. Greater tranquility
  4. Improved analytical thinking
  5. Increased vocabulary
  6. Improved memory
  7. Improved writing skills
  8. Helps prioritize goals
    Also in the website BenefitOf.net also stated some facts about the Benefits of reading.

    Aside from these facts, books aren't just a bunch of papers with ink in it. It is a piece of art, knowledge and experiences by different people.

     But, if you're still not into reading, there will be, one day, a book that will serve as your counterpart.
I found my match when I was in fourth grade. A Filipino literature book were accidentally sent to my home room together with our activity books. It is a book of short stories written by contemporary Filipino writers. And, by the moment I finished reading the book, I realized I was crying. I shed tears for something I don't know why.

     Reading a book is like a journey with a friend, an adventure that doesn't require physical presence, but a mind that can soar higher and able and willing to think of the unimaginable. Admit it, sometimes, you stopped for a moment just to say: "Oh my! What happened?" or "Why?!" or you happened to say bad words when the story turned out the way you didn't expect. It'll make you cry, it can make you laugh. To finish reading a book is like losing a friend.

    Pieces of papers, pages bounded by words, and stories painted by ink, having a book to read is a Thing worth living.




No comments:

Post a Comment